Networking industry has been transforming to different operating methodology to speed up the network designs/implementation/operations processes.
Historically, there has been some transformation from PPDIOO methodology (prepare, plan, design, implementation, operate, optimize) to network DevOps. However, DevOps model is very software engineering centric and therefore infra/network engineers don’t find it as an alternate to PPDIOO model.
So far, in most cases, DevOps in networking space has been limited to configuration management wherein network engineers have built automated configuration management systems to deploy configurations to network devices. Given, PPDIOO methodology is not 1-to-1 mapped to DevOps, network engineers still have to do following,
- Capture customer engagement and business intent context to validate if current network can support it
- Architect & Design network architectures
- Capture customer intent to configuration policies rules
- Capture hardware and software requirements and manage BOM (bill of material)
- Perform Design & configuration validation
- Manage and track standards designs/offerings vs one-off designs/offerings
- Cost of Service & Delivery timelines
- Many more…
Therefore, we need a methodology & supported system called ‘NetOps’, which uses best features of PPDIOO and DevOps model and enable a new optimized methodology wherein all the steps mentioned above can be digitized and visible not only to network IT providers but also to IT clients.